History Counseling
Paul Padilla, 6284 Bunche

Indira Y. Garcia, 6290 Bunche

1. I can’t get into a 97 (or 191). Can I waive it?


2. What is a History 97 (or 191)?

The History 97 is a sophomore seminar (no, it is not restricted to sophomores) on historical methods. The History 191 is a senior seminar (restricted to History majors with senior standing). As both classes are seminars, enrollment is limited to encourage discussion and participation, which is usually a significant part of the class requirements. Note that History 191’s only open up for enrollment at second pass.

3. When can I declare the major?

After you have taken at least two western civilization or world civilization courses (not one of each) and the History 97, and the courses have been completed and the grades posted, you may visit a departmental counselor to declare the major.

If you are double majoring, you must complete all six of the prep courses (2 western or world civilization courses, the History 97, and 3 lower division electives) plus two upper division history courses, plus the prep and 2 upper division courses for your other major.

4. Can I take a world civilizations course and a western civilizations course for the prep?

No, you need to take either two world civilizations courses (two of History 20, 21 or 22), or two western civilizations courses (two of History 1A, 1B, or 1C) – not one of each.

5. I can’t enroll in a 191!  What should I do?

There may be several reasons why you are unable to enroll. 191’s are restricted to history majors with senior standing, so if you are not a declared history major, or if you are a freshman or sophomore, you can only enroll with a PTE number from the instructor. Also, the 191’s do not open up for enrollment until second pass, and students cannot enroll during priority or first pass.

6. Can I take more than one 191?

You can take up to two 191 seminars for the history major. The second 191 course may be used towards the distribution requirement (e.g., US, European, or non-western) if the content of the course is appropriate. Ask a departmental counselor about the possibility of petitioning for a second 191 to count for a geographical distribution requirement.

7. Do I have to take a 191 in addition to the 10 upper division courses required for the major?

No. The 191 counts as one of the ten upper division courses.

8. What is a 199 and how do I take one?

199s are independent studies courses in which you work directly with a professor on a course of study agreed upon by both of you. To enroll in a course, print out the 199 form My.UCLA Special Petitions link and fill it out. The instructor must then sign the form. Bring the form back to a departmental counselor who will sign it and provide a Course ID number. You must then take the form to 1113 Murphy Hall to enroll in the class.

9. What else should I know about those 199’s?

History 199’s are always 4 units. You can only take two and have them count for the major. Also, UCLA allows you to take a total of eight graded 199’s; after that all 199’s must be taken on a P/NP basis.

10. Can I do an internship and have it count towards the major?

All internships for academic credit (195’s) are handled by the Center for Community Learning. HistoryCorps offers a unique internship opportunity for upper division UCLA History majors, connecting them with museums, archives, and community organizations hoping to launch, support and/or enhance their own historical research or preservation projects. For more information, please visit their website: https://phi.history.ucla.edu/whatwedo/historycorps/ 

11. Do I get credit for my AP coursework?

Students entering as freshmen prior to Fall 2002 or as transfer students prior to Fall 2004 may receive credit depending on which exams were taken and what scores were received. A score of 3, 4 or 5 on the European History AP exam will receive 4 units for History 1C and 4 units of unassigned history (not applicable towards the major). A score of 3 on the US History AP exam will receive 8 units of unassigned history credit (not applicable towards the major); a score of 4 or 5 on the US History AP exam will receive a total 9 units of credit for History 13A, 13B, and 13C. A score of 3, 4 or 5 on the World History AP exam will receive 8 units of unassigned history (not applicable towards the major). A student with full credit for both the European and US history AP exams would thus have much of the prep for the major done and be required to take only 1 more Western Civilizations class (1A or 1B) and the History 97.

Students entering as freshmen from Fall 2002 or as transfer students from Fall 2004 may receive credit depending on which exams were taken and scores were received, but none of this credit will be applicable towards the major. A score of 3, 4 or 5 on the US, Europe, and/or World History exam(s) will receive 8 units of unassigned history for each exam.

Note that a score of 3, 4 or 5 on the US History AP exam will also satisfy the University’s American History and Institutions requirement for all students.

12. For my non-Western requirement, can I take one Latin American (or African, Asian, Near/Middle East, or Science/Technology) history course and one African (or Latin American, Asian, Near/Middle East, or Science/Technology) history course?

No, the two courses must come from the same field (i.e., two from Africa, or two from Asia, or two from Latin America, or two from Near/Middle East, or two from Science/Technology). For a list of applicable courses, see a departmental counselor.

13. Can I take courses in other departments and count them towards the history major?

Yes, a select group of history courses from other departments can be approved for history credit; please check with a department advisor if you have questions regarding these courses.

14. I’m transferring to UCLA in the fall from a junior college – what courses should I take?

If you haven’t completed the prep (for example, you need more lower division electives) you might consider taking a lower division course. You should enroll in a History 97 (historical methods) course as soon as possible, since this is designed to introduce you to the process of doing history. Another option would be taking upper division course since you probably haven’t taken any at your junior college.

15. Can I take any courses P/NP?

All courses for the prep for the major and the major must be taken for a grade, or it cannot be used for the major.

16. How often should I check my DPR?

You should check your study list during the quarter to be sure that you are actually enrolled in the classes that you think you are enrolled. (Note that wait lists are dropped at the end of second week, so if you are on a wait list and you haven’t gotten into that class, it will drop off your study list.) You should also check your DPR after the quarter is over for grades. If you have any questions about grades you should contact the instructor as soon as possible, because instructors are only required to keep final exams and coursework for one regular quarter after the quarter in which you took the class.

17. How often should I see a counselor?

This depends on what kinds of issues you have to discuss! Feel free to drop in regularly (every quarter, once a year – whatever suits you!) to be sure you are on the right track, for advice on enrolling in classes, and to ask any questions that you might have.

If you have questions regarding College requirements rather than the history major, you should visit a counselor in your counseling unit:

– Honors, A-311 Murphy,

– AAP, 1209 Campbell,

– Athletics, JD Morgan Center,

– Letters & Science, A-316 Murphy,

18. I finished an incomplete but it’s still on my DPR!

An incomplete will always remain on your transcript for the quarter in which you took the class; it does not disappear. The completed grade will show up on your transcript in the quarter in which the work was actually completed.

19. How do I remove an incomplete once I finish the work?

The professor must file the paperwork with our office to remove the incomplete.

20. Can I repeat a course?

You can repeat up to 16 units of coursework for which you received a C- or below. The grade for the second time (for better or worse) will be calculated into your GPA. Please note that the original grade will always remain on your transcript; it is simply not calculated into your UCLA GPA. After 16 units, or if you did not receive a C- or below, it is classified as an “illegal repeat” and you will not receive any grade or unit credit for the class. You may only repeat a course once.

21. I need to take “History electives” – which ones should I take?

“Electives” are history courses that can be in any geographical, thematic, or chronological area. The lower division electives for the preparation for the major can be fulfilled with upper division courses; see a departmental counselor for a list of courses that can be used. However, courses used for the prep cannot be counted for the major as well – you will need a total of 16 upper and lower division courses for the prep and the major, including 10 upper division courses for the major alone.

So for example, if you use 2 upper division courses to count for 2 of the lower division electives, you will still need 10 upper division courses for the major itself, for a total of 12 upper division courses (plus 4 more lower division courses for a total of 16 courses: another lower division elective, 2 western or world civilization courses, and the History 97).

22. What are “upper division” (or “lower division”) courses?

“Upper division” courses are courses numbered between 100-199. “Lower division” courses are numbered between 1-99. The College of Letters & Science requires 60 units of upper division coursework. The History major requires at least 40 units of upper division coursework towards the major (10 upper division courses); the remaining 20 units can be additional history courses or courses from other departments.

23. I’m thinking of doing an honors thesis. What should I do?

See our website. You may also wish to consult with a departmental counselor.

24. Can I minor in history?

As of Winter 2017, the History Department offers a minor in History, which consists of two lower division courses and five upper division courses. Additionally, the department offers a minor in the History of Science and Medicine, which consists of three lower division courses and five upper division courses.

25. Can I use history courses for both the major and the minor?

If you choose to do the History of Science and Medicine minor, you may only use one history course for both the major and the minor. In other words, you would need 8 courses for the minor and 15 additional courses for the major (with one of the 8 History of Science and Medicine courses doubling up for the History major).

26. I’m thinking of applying to graduate or professional school. What should I do?

Talk to a Counseling Assistant at Letters and Science (A-316 Murphy) about applying to graduate programs. You can also check out the pamphlet Choosing Graduate School online which has information on things to consider about going to graduate school, choosing a graduate program, applications, letters of recommendations, writing personal statements, etc. Another resource is the Career Center which has references regarding the numerous programs offered.

27. I want to do extracurricular activities to enhance my academic profile – what can I do?

The History department sponsors two student groups, Phi Alpha Theta and the Undergraduate History Association. These groups sponsor activities ranging from informal talks and lectures on a variety of topics to excursions, movies, and luncheons and dinners with faculty, and welcome participation.

28. I want to double major in History and _______. What should I do?

See the answer above on declaring the history major.

29. I didn’t get the grade I expected for a course. What should I do?

Contact the professor or Teaching Assistant directly. We have no authorization to change any grades.

30. Where can I get help for a research paper?

The Undergraduate Research Center provides assistance for research papers to all students in the Humanities, Arts, Social Sciences, and Behavioral Sciences.

31. I have other questions regarding College requirements.

See a counselor in your counseling unit (Honors, AAP, Athletics, or Letters & Science), or the Letters and Science Counseling web page for more information about counseling, including regulations, petitions, articulations, etc.